Leeds Ultimate Frisbee players called up for Great Britain

Much to disc-uss

Five members of Leeds Uni’s Ultimate Frisbee team have been chosen to represent Great Britain.

There are under-23 call-ups for four of them, with Bio-Energy PhD student Robert White making the senior team.

They will play at the World Championships in St. Albans in July this year.

Fourth year Musician Katie Lear, who was selected for the Under-23 mixed team, said: “After attending 3 trials, I found out just before Christmas that I’d been selected to play.

“I was so happy, I didn’t expect to be selected because the standard of women was so high.”

Leeds is something of an Ultimate Frisbee hotbed, with a club running at the uni since the eighties. The men’s indoor team finished second-best in the country last year. The mixed and women’s teams were also in the top six nationally.

Katie adds: “it’s really easy to get hooked because everyone who plays the sport is amazing, it’s a great sport to pick up whether you have played sports before or not, and it’s really exciting to be able to travel around the country playing tournaments nearly every weekend.”

Katie joins second year Will Carter in the Under-23 mixed team, with Law third year Alice Beeching and masters student Rachel Finch representing the Under-23 women’s team.

They’ll face teams from as far afield as Canada, Taiwan, India and the USA.

Third year and Leeds Uni’s Ultimate Frisbee captain Dan Lovesey said: “I’m really proud. They’ve put so much effort into the Leeds uni team and totally deserve being recognised by representing GB which shows all their hard work is paying off.

“I don’t know how they do it but its a great representation of the sport and can hopefully give it the recognition it deserves.”