Lancaster finally regains status as top 10 UK university

The train station can finally put its ‘home to top 10 university’ sign back up

Lancaster University is back as a top 10 university in the country, according to the Complete University Guide’s league tables for 2024.

After two years of coming up short and ranking 11th, the university has climbed one place to rank 10th out of  130 UK universities.

The Complete University Guide gave Lancaster an overall score of 84 per cent based on an average of entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality and graduate prospects.

Lancaster University has ranked just outside the top 10 since 2022, with the Complete University Guide placing us at 11th in the UK, but other league tables, such as the Times Good University Guide 2023 ranking us 12th.

The University of York have risen from 20th to 16th, a rise of four places.

Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, Professor Wendy Robinson said: “From our diverse international teaching staff and research-intensive culture to our wonderful library and vibrant campus, Lancaster University is a truly excellent University which is constantly seeking to improve our students’ experience of teaching, learning and personal development. Our students are at the heart of our decision-making and we know they will join us in our pride in seeing our University in the top ten in the UK.”

Seven subjects taught at Lancaster are ranked in the top five in the UK. This includes: Social Work (first), Biomedical sciences (second), Communication and Media Studies (second), Linguistics (third), Drama, Dance and Cinematics (third), Marketing (fourth), and Italian (fourth).

Six subjects at Lancaster are ranked in the top 10: Creative Writing (sixth), Physics and Astronomy (seventh), Art and Design (eighth), German (ninth), French (ninth), and Sport Science (10th).

Overall, four out of five (80 per cent) Lancaster students are satisfied with the quality of their teaching.

Professor Wendy Robinson, Lancaster University Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, said: “From our diverse international teaching staff and research-intensive culture to our wonderful library and vibrant campus, Lancaster University is a truly excellent University which is constantly seeking to improve our students’ experience of teaching, learning and personal development. Our students are at the heart of our decision-making and we know they will join us in our pride in seeing our University in the top ten in the UK.”

Related articles recommended by this writer: