Image may contain: Home Decor, Campus, Plant, Tree, Window

King’s fifth-year medical students graduate early because of COVID-19

Exceptional circumstances and an expedited process graduates fifth-year medics

King’s College London sent out an email Friday afternoon confirming that all fifth-year medical students are now graduated. The email states that in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the circumstances it has created, the university is “expediting our graduation processes.”

The MBBS Assessment Board called a meeting following which it was confirmed that all three hundred and ninety-four medical students will have fulfilled the criteria necessary for graduation.

Their names will be forwarded to the General Medical Council, the official register of medical practitioners in the United Kingdom, early next week.

Following this, Health Education will contact students to confirm whether or not they would like to pursue early registration with the General Medical Council.

Due to the pandemic, the class of 2020’s July graduation ceremonies are not taking place as planned.

Students will be receiving their transcripts and certificates by post. King’s has emphasized that the ceremonies are delayed rather than cancelled and that they are exploring options for graduation ceremonies.

Professor Tim Lancaster, Dean of Medical Education, assured medical students that “in the future, somewhere, somehow, we will celebrate your graduation together in style.”