Breaking News

Glasgow Uni has 124 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 600 students self isolating

There are confirmed cases at three university halls

An outbreak of coronavirus at University of Glasgow accommodation has lead to 600 students needing to self-isolate and 124 confirmed cases, though uni officials have said its “likely to be more”.

Earlier today The Tab Glasgow reported that three Glasgow University accommodations have had COVID-19 infections: Murano, Cairncross, and Queen Margaret.

The first two cases at Murano Student Village were confirmed on Saturday and in the following days, the number has increased rapidly, allegedly spurred on by the parties and social gatherings held throughout Freshers’ Week.

A spokesperson for The University of Glasgow told The Glasgow Tab: “We are aware of two significant clusters of positive cases of Covid-19 in our Murano Street and Cairncross residences, which we believe were largely due to social activity around 12-14 September (the start of Freshers’ Week).

“We are working closely with NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde’s public health team to manage these. The total number of reported cases since the start of term is 124 but the actual number is likely to be higher. Over 600 students are isolating across all residences.  We are not aware of any students who have had to receive hospital treatment.

“The student households affected are self-isolating and have access to food and other supplies. Advice on medical issues including mental health and wellbeing is being made available. We have also increased the number of support staff liaising with our residences.

“Environmental health inspected the residences earlier today and reported that robust procedures are in place.

“We have made very clear since before the arrival of students that the University will not tolerate behaviour that puts others at risk. No new disciplinary issues have been reported since the first few days of Freshers’ Week. Despite this, we are expanding staffing numbers to help ensure isolation is observed universally and to support students.

“Disciplinary action against any students who break the rules will include termination of student accommodation contracts and suspension from the University.”