Hole in the Wall wins pub of the year

Student-friendly pub wins Exeter’s Pub of the Year

Cider Dogs hole in the wall the tab the tab exeter

Home to the socials of many Exeter University societies, Hole in the Wall has been named as Exeter Express & Echo‘s pub of the year.

The pub, located right next to Timepiece on Castle Street, was awarded the title following thousands of votes cast in the newspaper’s annual competition.

The venue, which provides University students with drinks deals for the infamous Wednesday night TP, came off at the top spot after receiving an incredible 611 votes.

Hole in the Wall, Little Castle Street

It was followed in close second by last year’s winners The Traveller’s Rest in Whitestone with 571 votes.

The winners will receive a trophy and extensive coverage in the Echo along with the obvious publicity the title brings.

Owners George Sloan and Rob Skinner are “delighted” about the news.

George said:  “It is great news. We are a new pub in Exeter and the reaction has been absolutely fantastic. 

Inside Hole in the Wall, a student hot-spot

“I am staggered but thrilled with the number of people voting for us. There has been a great buzz around it and obviously the competition was very close.

“We have a new chef and a new menu and are also very well-supported by Exeter University. We have a great mixture of locals and students.”

David Rosser, manager of the pub said: “We’re very happy and surprised to have won in our first full year! We have a great relationship with all differing student societies and hold socials almost every day of the week.

Hole in the Wall’s superb Cider Dogs

“We’re eager to see even more students enjoying the pub and are trying lots of new things all the time. In particular, our Monday night showing of Game of Thrones has really taken off with students.

“We also offer students a 20% discount on food in our Cider Dogs bar located downstairs and have extended student drinks deals to Thursday too with all drinks £2.50”.