RWC 2015 Heading to the West Country

Why Sandy Park is up there with Twickenham (almost)

Rugby Rugby World Cup RWC sandy park the tab the tab exeter

• Sandy Park set to host games for 2015 Rugby World Cup
• Exeter City Council says it is “fantastic news for Exeter”
• Leicester’s Welfare Road overlooked for hosting fixtures

Twickenham, the Olympic Stadium and the Millennium Stadium are just some of the magnificent venues set to host the Rugby World Cup in 2015 alongside Sandy Park.

In what was seen as a bit of a coup for the west country by some, those who have been to the home of the Chiefs will understand why it has been picked.

The atmosphere, the facilities and the pasties proved far too irresistible to England Rugby 2015, the organizing committee for the World Cup.

Twickenham: One of Sandy Park’s fellow RWC 2015 hosts

Pete Edwards, leader of the Exeter City Council, said that it was “fantastic news for Exeter.”

Chairman and Chief Executive of Exeter Chiefs Rugby Club, Tony Rowe OBE, added that it was not only great news for the city, but also for “Devon and the South West as a whole.”

Sandy Park was initially selected as one of 17 potential grounds to be given a World Cup game.

What Sandy Park may lack in size, it certainly makes up for in noise

After careful consideration, however, it was then confirmed as one of the 13 venues.

Surprisingly, grounds such as Welford Road – the home ground of Leicester Tigers that boasts a capacity of 24,000 – were overlooked.

Indeed, Sandy Park joins Kingsholm in Gloucester as one of only two domestic rugby grounds to host games in 2015.

Welford Road: it’s not how big it is; it’s how you use it

Exeter will host three games, all of which are pool matches, on 29th September, 7th October and 11th October.

As yet, the fixtures are not fully decided because of unfinished qualifying campaigns – although Italy and Tonga are certain visitors.

Regardless of the teams playing though, Exeter will certainly show why it has been given such an honour by demonstrating the kind of atmosphere that can only be conjured by a west country crowd.

Mirco Bergamasco could be one high-profile player on show