Rebellious video game launched by Exeter Uni

Exeter’s Bill Douglas Centre is getting down with the kids to make learning cool.

bill douglas centre seeking the lanternist video game

Rebels from the future are battling the Government to uncover film history in a world where cinema is banned, in a brand new game from Exeter University’s Bill Douglas Centre.

Seeking the Lanternist‘ aims to help gamers understand the meaning of cinema and how it shapes culture by involving users in uncovering artefacts and film history through the ages.

One of those battling rebels. Get her a better camera!

Created by the artist Kate Green in partnership with the Centre, users enter a world where leader Erica and her ‘Comrades’ battle a dysfunctional future society by discovering moving image history through objects such as the Lumière Cinématographe, one of the earliest cameras capable of shooting and projecting films.

As one of the world’s top cinema collections, the Bill Douglas Centre aimed to create an immersing alternative reality game (ARG) to demonstrate the effects cinema has on culture.

The game, funded by The Arts Council of England, features interaction through sound, video and email, creating a story that changes according to users’ ideas and actions. Phil Wickham, curator of the museum, commented: “It will allow our collections to come alive, helping people explore our collections in a different and exciting way.”