A guide to the best cafes and lunch spots on Edi Uni’s campus

The basil pesto, roast courgette and halloumi bagel is Michelin worthy

Whether we’re busy working on assessments, studying for exams or just plain procrastinating and falling behind on our work, we all get too lazy to bring our food from home or to walk to Tesco for that meal deal.

Luckily, the university has us covered when it comes to a selection of eateries for us to choose from when we feel like grabbing a bite on campus, whether in between classes, catching up on work or meeting up with friends.

But which one is the best? Where are you going to get enough bang for your buck? Stay tuned to find out!

The Library Cafe

Located in George Square and connected to the main university library, the library cafe is an optimal spot for anyone looking to take a quick (or not so quick) break from their work. The library cafe has some of my favourite foods from any of the university eateries, like the basil pesto, roast courgette, and halloumi bagel and one of the most recent additions to its food options is the chorizo and three cheese on sourdough taste (insert drool emoji here). Not to mention, the staff here are incredibly friendly and there’s plenty of space to study if you prefer a cafe vibe.

Teviot – Library Bar, New Amphion etc.

What can I say about Teviot? If the library cafe is good, then Teviot is God tier and above. You can find Teviot in Bristo Square, near McEwan Hall and Appleton Tower. No Edinburgh student can resist a good chill night out at the library bar, especially with the deals, like “Dogs and Wings Wednesdays” – who could say no to either six buffalo wings and fries or any hot dog and fries for only £5? Anything from burgers to nachos to vegan options, you’ll find it at Teviot!

Brücks Street Kitchen

Stepping away from the main campus, let’s focus on Kings for all my fellow STEM students. Brücks focuses more on a street food concept which, according to the university website, provides a “truly different lunch experience”. Compared to most other university-based eateries, the Brücks menu offers something unique and different. With the menu changing every week and always providing options for vegetarians and vegans, it’s worth a try at least once! The only downside is that it’s only open until 3 pm (*sigh*).

Element (Murchison House)

Another one for my Kings people. Element, located in Murchison house, is a must try at least once. Now I may be a bit biased towards the Kings Buildings eateries, but they just hit different. Sadly they’re too far away from my flat and I don’t feel like travelling just for food. On the positive side, Element has pretzel rolls and you can create your own salad bowl – yes, you read that right. No pre-made salad bowls (suck it Library cafe).

40 George Square Cafe

Back to the main campus, the 40 George Square Cafe is, as the name suggests, located at 40 George Square. However, this one sadly doesn’t make it onto my favourites. Personally speaking, the 40 George Square cafe feels like a low-rent Library Cafe which has the same menu and isn’t open as long. It’s usually incredibly crowded during the day, and as an introvert, it doesn’t fit my vibe. Although, I will come here just for a quick catch-up with my mates from time to time.