Breaking: Edinburgh Uni Main Library closed overnight due to Storm Arwen

It is expected to reopen tomorrow morning and the rest of campus is open as normal

Main Library has been forced to close overnight due to strong winds caused by Storm Arwen.

It is expected to reopen tomorrow morning at approximately 8:30am. The uni also have stressed that the rest of campus is open as normal. This includes all other libraries and study spaces.

However, this is subject to change and is dependent on the weather staying as forecast.

The Edinburgh Tab has been told that the decision was made out of concern that buses and trains could be cancelled which risks staff and students being stranded or unable to get home.

Students were only given 30 minutes notice that Main Lib was closing and the announcement over the tannoy said they were following Scottish Government guidance.

Storm Arwen has caused a red weather warning to be issued by the Met Office for Edinburgh and the rest of the east coast of Scotland. This warning is in force until 2am tomorrow morning with gusts of wind up to 90mph possible.

It is the most severe weather warning the Met Office can issue and means there is a risk of “loss of life” resulting from extreme weather. An amber warning, the second most severe warning, is then in place until 9am tomorrow morning.

There are also yellow warnings for snow issued for areas just outside Edinburgh until 10am tomorrow.

Lothian Buses have also warned that there could be delays on all services across their network. Scot Rail have made similar warnings about trains along the east coast too.

The Edinburgh Christmas Markets have also been forced to close tonight by the extreme weather.

Recommended related articles by this writer

• Here is every type of Edinburgh student you will find in the library right now

• Neil Thin has returned to campus but will not be teaching

• Breaking: Strike action at Edinburgh Uni and Heriot-Watt will take place in December