Image may contain: Room, Man, Apparel, Clothing, Indoors, Glasses, Accessory, Accessories, Beard, Person, Human, Face

An Edi student dressed as her PhD supervisor for Halloween and the resemblance is amazing

That’s a high first for effort, originality and accuracy

Edinburgh University student Devin Grier has truly embraced celebrating Halloween at uni by dressing as her PhD supervisor, American History Professor Frank Cogliano.

Following a successful similar stunt last year, Devin asked Frank for permission to dress as him earlier in the semester.

While Frank gave the go-ahead, he was nonetheless surprised to see Devin actually went through with the idea when she walked into his office on October 31st.

Image may contain: Pants, Denim, Jeans, Accessories, Accessory, Glasses, Clothing, Apparel, Library, Book, Bookcase, Room, Shelf, Furniture, Indoors, Human, Person

Frank posted a photo of the lookalike pair on Twitter and people have been going crazy over it. The picture has been retweeted over 1,000 times and has over 19,000 likes.

Speaking to The Edinburgh Tab, Frank commented: "It's very flattering (and undeserved!). It was kind of Devin to do it.

"I've been a little overwhelmed by the social media response. One benefit? I received an email from a former student whom I taught 30 years ago when I was a postgraduate. He saw the tweet and wrote to thank me for the course I taught him (my very first teaching experience, I'm sure I was awful!) and for writing a reference for him.

"Between Devin yesterday and him thirty years ago, working with students is the best!"

Image may contain: Library, Book, Room, Indoors, Bookcase, Person, Human, Shelf, Furniture

Devin told The Edinburgh Tab: "I'm lucky to have a lovely working relationship with both my PhD supervisors. Along with the expected seriousness that comes with advising a doctoral thesis, my supervisors are usually up for a good laugh which I really appreciate.

"I asked Professor Cogliano for permission earlier this year and I am not sure if he thought I was joking or not. Regardless, he gave me the green light. When I walked into his office I couldn't really see his reaction that clearly because I had borrowed a friend's prescription glasses. I did hear a bunch of laughter from his direction though, so I think he took it quite well!"

Many of the comments on Frank's tweet commend the nature of student-supervisor relationships like Frank and Devin's.

Joanne Freeman, a history professor at Yale, commented: "That's student love". Meanwhile, the historian Greg Jenner, who also happens to be an advisor on Horrible Histories, commented: "FANTASTIC".

A few professors from across the world have responded to Frank's tweet through commenting their own photos of students dressing as them for Halloween.

Devin told The Edinburgh Tab: "I am pretty surprised about the social media reaction, to be honest. A lot of people thought I was a man, too! I'll just have to take that as a compliment on my costume."