After the treatment of Esme Allman, Edinburgh Uni need to protect people of colour

We need this now more than ever

As a first year, when I started at Edinburgh I was a bit bemused at the lack of black representation, and after hearing about Esme Allman's story, I was shocked to discover my university wasn't taking serious enough precautions to protect young black women.

In the light of these recent events, and Black History Month, here is how Edinburgh as a University can, and should, protect people of colour.

Only an average of 8% of students enrolled at Edinburgh University over the past 5 years come from BME backgrounds

Hold individuals accountable for their actions

We're not at school. A quick slap on the hand and a warning won't suffice as punishment for attempting to hurt an individual's standing at a university. In Esme's case, we see a white man intimidated by a second year with authority as a BME officer.

People of colour cannot rebound from consequences as fast as white people can. Unfortunately, the system is skewed so we are taught to always be one step ahead even though society is built to push us one step behind. Therefore, institutions must impose punishment on those who try and smear the reputation of people of colour.

Give us a space to share our voice

University is a melting pot of opinions and beliefs, but just because someone is louder, doesn't mean their ideas are better. Unfortunately, university serves as a microcosm to the outer world, the voices of people of colour are hushed through the shouts of the dominant white opinion.

It is imperative to listen to the experiences of the other, and provide a platform for our voice to be heard. You can do this by going to BME events or even just talking to a friend you know is comfortable talking about their experiences.

Go to Black History Month events

Be sure to like 'Edinburgh University Students' Association's Liberation Campaigns' on Facebook to be notified about all the events happening in Black History Month. BHM is important to not only black people, but everyone. It teaches us to celebrate blackness, but also how we can overcome adversity and question authority from a long, turbulent history.

Panels and even club night fundraisers are being held for BHM

Stand up for us

You don't need a picket-sign and megaphone to do this. Any racial conflict in history is solved through co-operation and communication between different minority groups. Talk to us, question us, initiate conversation. Leaving PoC to fight their own battles alienates us further, so question the authority of the university. We all are guilty of passively sharing articles on Facebook to raise awareness on social media, but blunt conversation is necessary to incite change.

Now more than ever we need to protect students of colour.