Major redevelopment planned for Teviot

Please, not more building work

The University of Edinburgh recently released a statement asking for people to have their say on 'design proposals for an ambitious new Student Centre at the University' located between Bristo Square and George Square.

According to the statement, the new building is said to be linked to an expansion of Teviot Row House and desires to "bring together under one roof" the University's "core student support functions."

The centre aims to improve access to services that support student wellbeing, success and development, and is being built in consultation with the Edinburgh's Student Association.

Newly elected EUSA President Patrick Kilduff said of the development: "We are particularly excited that this project is centred on Teviot Row House, the oldest purpose built Students’ Union in the world – its refurbishment and the adjacent development will ensure it remains fit to serve and support students as their needs evolve."

An open consultation event took place for students and staff in the Dining Room of Teviot yesterday, where details of the building were discussed.

Work is expected to begin in 2018 with the centre opening scheduled to be in 2024.