We asked the middle-class how well they’re coping with the courgette crisis

Is it really a big deal?

Strolling the aisles of Lidl on a Tuesday afternoon, I noticed something peculiar. The vegetable section seemed somewhat depleted. Something was missing, but I couldn’t figure out what.

A brisk jog down Nicolson Street to my favourite Tesco revealed the same strange affliction – but what?

Walking into Sainsbury’s as a last resort, only to be greeted with an empty spot where the courgettes should have been, I felt a cold sweat breaking on my brow. My upper lip began to tremble. How would I be able to create my signature gourmet dish of ‘rice and vegetables’ without the very vegetables I needed?

My flatmates and I executed a quick Google search – my suspicions were confirmed, and the situation was dire. Overly cold weather in Spain and Italy is causing a Europe-wide courgette shortage, and it’s one that would perhaps extend itself to other mediterranean vegetables. “But what about the aubergiiiines” added token francophone Elise, “how will I be able to make my ratatouille?”

That night, I had a dream about finding three giant, mutated courgettes in a grocer, and I still remember the feeling of euphoria and feverish excitement as I rushed to bring them back to the flat and get spiralising. Sadly, my hopes were crushed when I woke up and realised that not only do I not own a spiraliser, but I hadn’t seen a courgette in weeks.

Making sure my babies are comfortable

This was when I realised that perhaps I was a bit more concerned about the situation than I should have been. Of course, there were more important things happening in the world to fret about. 

Though the frustrated clean-eaters of Twitter seemed to be voicing their opinions, I took it upon myself to investigate what my peers in Edinburgh and beyond really thought about the whole debacle.

Can the average student tell a courgette from a cucumber? Or are the middle-class masses having to desperately swap out their beloved courgetti for Sainsbury’s butternut squash ‘boodles’ 

“I’m not quite sure I understand what you mean.” – Tristan, Swansea

“Some of my friends love courgettes.” – John, Kent

“It’s a real shame that global warming has had such an effect on farming and that it’s affected our daily eating habits.” – Sarah, Edinburgh

“It’s ok because I hate courgette.” – Kezia, Edinburgh

“I’m more into frozen pizzas and chips, to be honest.” – Harry, Liverpool

“Is there a courgette crisis? I didn’t know there was a courgette crisis.” – Jess, Durham

Jesus.

The Tab Edinburgh

last seen today at 05:53

Get breaking Edinburgh news straight to your WhatsApp.

Find out who has made it into Clubbers of the Week, Teviot nachos news and all the goss from Pollock, straight to your DMs. 😘