Team of the week: Meet the ladies of lacrosse

Sometimes they superglue each other to Rugby boys

A group of European champions graced the grass at Peffermill last night.

Not Barcelona, but the Edinburgh University Women’s Lacrosse Club’s first team.

The team was down back at Peffermill for a captain’s run fresh off the back of winning the European Club Championship in Belgium.

The girls beat Hanover in the final, and saw off Putney, the best team in England in the semis.

We should all be proud of them – and that’s why they’re the first team to be featured here. Sport is a massive part of Edinburgh life, whether it’s Ultimate Frisbee or Hockey. Hopefully you’ll meet every team Edinburgh has to offer over the next few months.

No, I don’t know what the sticks are called either

You’d think there’d be some complacency but they’re itching to add to this in the upcoming season.

Georgina Disney-May, president of the lacrosse club, made it clear that more silverware is the goal for this season:

“We want our second team to win that club championship that we’ve just won, we want our first team to move up to the premier league in BUCS.”

Lacrosse legends

There is obviously some real talent in the team but how good are they really?
“We’ve got a lot of players on the Scotland senior team. Chloe Carruthers is brilliant, she played in the under-19 world cup in Edinburgh this summer.”

Despite the competitiveness that is clearly a massive part of being in the lacrosse cub, it’s obvious that there is a massive emphasis on inclusion and trying to introduce others to the sport they love.

European champions and I didn’t ask what the equipment was called?

Georgina was emphatic about how important this was:

“We’re trying to grow our squad, that’s the main goal. Our freshers team is massive, we had 70 girls turn up to our taster session and the plan is to have a massive club as well as the squad.”

The first team captain Trinny Groom is similarly enthusiastic about the inclusion aspect of the club.

“When I came to uni I knew I was gonna play lacrosse but that’s not the case for lots of people. We’ve got a first, seconds, thirds, and a beginners team.”

“You can still join the beginners’ team if you want to, it’s never too late.”

Some other aspects of the club appeal more to others.

Fresher Nilou Edmonds is vocally enthusiastic about all that comes with being a lacrosse player at uni.

Fucking hell, no wonder I don’t call myself a journalist

“We have nice pasta dinners before every match which is really fun and I feel like I already know them all.”

When asked about whether the social side attracted her to the club, Nilou answered in the affirmative:

“They said there were lots of socials and that they superglue each other to the rugby boys.”

Whatever their reason for being there, the girls’ camaraderie and enthusiasm for the game is infectious.

It is clear that they’ll continue to go from strength to strength as the club grows.

There’s loads more clubs, teams, and achievements to celebrate around Edinburgh – if you want to see your club or team featured here – email [email protected]