Nobel Peace Prize winning legend backs fossil fuel occupation

She’s a massive deal

Household name Dr Graciela Chichilnisky, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, has agreed to speak in favour of Edinburgh’s fossil fuel divestment.

She’s set to deliver a talk at the uni and turn up to support the occupation in Charles Stewart House.

Furious students and staff have blasted gas-guzzling uni chiefs for not divesting from fossil fuels and have since occupied the finance building.

The occupation began yesterday

Dr Chichilnisky has agreed to voice her support at a talk at the Buchanan Institute, Scotland’s only student-led think tank.

She was a key member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007.

Incoming EUSA President Jonny Ross-Tatam and CEO of the Buchanan Institute said: “Just so you all know, Dr Graciela Chichilnisky, Nobel Prize winning economist, world-leader on tackling climate change and CEO of a green technology company is coming to the University on Friday.

“And she’s agreed to make a pitch for the divestment campaign live and in front of some of the university’s top brass.”

In a comment on the post, Jonny also said Dr Chichilnisky will visit the site of the occupation itself.

The EUSA sabbatical officers have also come out in support of the occupation.

In a statement signed by all four sabbs, they assured the occupation had their support.

It read: “As of this morning we were alerted via social media to the occupation of Charles Stewart House by People and Planet, in response to the University’s decision to partially divest from fossil fuel companies and all companies who produce high carbon emissions.

“We are in total agreement with People & Planet’s ultimate aim of full divestment and have always supported their activism in line with this.

“Once again we extend our solidarity to those in occupation and will be visiting with provisions.”

Occupiers have also started to set up camp outside Charles Stewart House.