Oh my dog! Napier students to face canine interrogation for place on Vet-Med

Students hoping to study Vetinary Medicine at Napier to be interviewed by dogs

Prospective Napier students hoping to study Veterinary Medicine will be forced to take an interview while cute canines fight for their attention.

The dogs will be getting their paws into the interview to test how students deal with animals before being offered a place on the course.

“Tell us what you know..and a pet would be nice too.

Also intended to relax nervous students, this scheme is similar to Edinburgh’s own Therapets intended to relieve exam stress. It’s now also happening in Aberdeen – but reckon we got there first.

Dr. Mary Fraser, a vet nursing lecturer at Napier, is also the owner of one of the doggie interviewers, Belle.

She told Metro: “We get more than 400 applicants for our vet nursing course, which is the only degree of its kind offered in Scotland, and only have 30 places, so it’s really important we select those students who are right for the job.”

“Having Belle in the interview room not only helps calm the prospective students but lets us see what they’re like with animals.”

Well if you insist he’s in the room…

Along with a black lab Ellie and a terrier Holly, Belle will be brought in to the interview room and left to roam freely during the interview to see how the students react to them.

Dr Fraser added: “All of our students go on to have work placements before eventually taking jobs in veterinary practices so if, at this stage, they don’t cope well with a very friendly puppy then they are unlikely to get on well with a snarling 60kg dog.”

Maybe we should be interviewed by the Library Cat