Durham University falls 11 places in new university world ranking for 2025

The uni dropped from 78th place to joint 89th in the QS World University Rankings 2025

In the new QS World University Rankings for 2025, Durham University has dropped 11 places from last year’s 78th place ranking.

Out of a ranking of over 1,500 universities worldwide, Durham achieved joint 89th place, tying with Pennsylvania State University and Purdue University, both in the United States of America.

This meant that Durham achieved 61.7 points overall, a slight decline from 2024’s 65.1 overall score, and an increase on 2o23’s 60.9 overall score where Durham University ranked 92nd best in the world.

In terms of academic reputation, Durham University scored 59.6, remaining consistent with previous years where the academic reputation scores have remained around the late fifties mark.

For employment outcomes however, Durham University scored poorly in the QS World Ranking 2025 for the past three years. This year achieving only 39.4, with a previous low score of 29.2 in 2024, in comparison with the 100 point scores of the likes of Oxford and Cambridge.

In the 2025 QS World University Rankings, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology snagged the top spot worldwide, whereas Imperial College London achieved top for the United Kingdom narrowly beating Oxbridge in the rankings. In terms of UK 2025 rankings, Durham achieved the number 17 spot, a fall from the 15th place spot Durham University ranked at in 2024.

Similar articles recommended by this author: