Durham University ranking

Durham falls to 198th in the world according to The Times Higher Education rankings

In the 2022 rankings it placed 162nd in the world

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023 have been released today, revealing Durham ranked as the 198th uni in the world out of 1,799 universities.

This is a fall in rankings from last year, where Durham placed considerably higher up at 162nd.

According to this league table, Durham is the 26th best university in the UK, and places above universities such as Loughborough, Queen’s University Belfast, which was ranked at 83rd last year, and St Andrews, which was ranked first in the UK by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide just a few weeks ago. In that same guide, Durham ranked sixth, and was named Sports University of the Year.

Oxford University tops the table for the seventh year in a row, and Cambridge University comes in at third.

Other universities placing higher than Durham in this guide include Manchester at 54th, Glasgow at 82nd, Southhampton at 108th, Leicester at 163rd, and Aberdeen at 192nd, just one place above Durham.

However, in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023, their rankings were Glasgow at 14th, Southhampton at 16th, Aberdeen at 19th, Manchester at 24th and Leicester at 35th.

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023 includes 1,799 universities across 104 countries and regions.