Come and write for The Tab Durham

Reason 1: We meet at the pub

It’s a new year and Durham is alive again with students and the possibilities for this year are endless.

No doubt you’ve spoken to every sport and society the Freshers’ Fair had to offer; filled your five new tote bags with utter crap that will sit at the bottom of your drawer until you graduate, reminiscing in the faded glory of Freshers’; and chatted to the CU just for the free hot chocolate and toastie.

Your calendar for the next month may be filled with free taster sessions and DU sports try-outs, coaxed out of you by club exec members who will be unwaveringly pally, until they put you in the Dev Squad, or worse, relegate you to Social Member. The prospects are bleak.

Consider this though: come and write for us.

Through The Tab, you will become part of the largest and most popular student-run publication in the country (and receive stash that money can’t buy).

You will bolster your CV and writing portfolio with excellent articles, ranging from topics like Durham’s own Harry Potter module, to breaking career-making stories that are referenced in mainstream national newspapers, such as exposing racist and misogynist group chats or discussing other issues relevant to Durham students.

Your work will be supported by very experienced editors, who will help give you all the tools you need to become an accomplished student journalist. There is also the regular opportunity for your work to be published nationally, with the potential of hundreds of thousands of views.

If just love writing, or want to be a journalist, there is no better way to jumpstart your career than writing for The Tab. We will even write you a reference for when job-hunting season rolls around.

We hold weekly meetings at a pub, and host socials every term. We have roles available covering news, features, fashion, events, social media, and even Tiktok – there really is a place for everyone. As an incentive, we often get invited to events for free!

So, now that we’ve piqued your interest, come and see what we’re about at our open meeting on Friday 14th October at The Library Bar at 8pm.

We’re a passionate, driven, but friendly team and whether you’re new to writing or a seasoned journalist, absolutely everyone is welcome.

We look forward to seeing you there!