Image may contain: Sunset, Sunrise, Sky, Red Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Dusk, Dawn

The atrocious scaffolding on Durham Cathedral is finally coming down

The Insta opportunities will be endless

The cathedral will return to its former un-scaffolded glory by the end of 2018, with repairs being made to the 15th century tower due to be completed in autumn this year.

The light is at the end of the tunnel. No more cropping out the scaffolding for those Instas, no more wondering what Durham would actually look like without that green hat on the cathedral. Because it's finally coming down.

Is this what it actually looks like???

Just in time for the season of the snowy Instagrams. And the Christmas-themed ones. And, well, every Instagram we've been deprived of since the scaffolding arrived in early 2016 – which means that many Durham students have never seen the cathedral pre-scaffolding.

One fresher told The Tab: "I thought it was meant to look like that tbh. I think I'll miss it".

Image may contain: Tower, Bell Tower, Brick, Castle, Building, Architecture

Spectacular!

But for those who have shouldered the burden of the scaffolded cathedral all their university lives, they can rejoice that the blemish will be removed before their graduation.

Unfortunately, for those graduating this year, the same cannot be said. But with the right angle, you can hardly see it anyway…