Hill vs Bailey Charity Cricket

Following on from the continued success of the rugby Hill vs Bailey charity match, college cricketers are looking to equal the popularity of their rugby counterparts, and perhaps even surpass it…

Tomorrow will see the first ever Hill vs Bailey Charity T20 Cricket match, sponsored by BP.

Cricket is a huge sport at Durham, and immensely popular at both college and university level.  College cricket captains, along with Tom Newman, the force behind last month’s exceptionally successful Festival of Sport, will see the match as an opportunity to showcase the very best of college cricket.

As with the rugby match and the Festival of Sport, this iteration of Hill vs Bailey will be in aid of Action Sport in Zambia, a charity supported by Team Durham for a number of years.

This promises to be just as heated a battle as the rugby

The organisers are looking to raise as much as possible, with a year’s education costing £110 per child, so get down there, watch some top cricket and support a fantastic cause.

And there’s not just great sport on offer, as there’ll be both soft and alcoholic drinks on sale, including a special offer on Pimms.  Bliss.

We sat down with the overall team manager, Akhil Shah, to discuss his thoughts on the cricketing masterclass ahead of us.

The Bailey Boys

VL: Who are the ones to watch?

AS: For the Bailey, Joe Snow has really stressed the importance of Rupert Harbig as a key player and for me it is Angus Boobyer. Both are key to watch with the bat! 

And for the Hill, James Madoc-Jones – one of the best Wicket Keepers/Batsmen I have played with. Sharp behind the stumps and hits runs for fun!’

Another one to watch: Alex Johnson – Cuths – Opening Bowler

VL: Favourites?

AS: Bailey of course! (I may be a little biased)

Can the Hill stem the Bailey tide? Jordan Sleightholme – Collingwood – All Rounder – Captain of the Hill

VL: What’s in store for the spectators?

AS: A great day of watching some great cricket in the closest thing to a stadium Durham has because there is going to be seating all around the boundary!

There will also be lots of spectator involvement as we hope to have a microphone going through the crowd!

Basically we want it to have as much of a professional feel to it as we can – that means commentary, interviews at the toss and a half-time competition the fans do not want to miss!’

Angus Boobyer – Johns – All Rounder

VL: And what would you say is the main incentive for people to come and support?

AS: ‘I think the main reason to get down is because this is going to match the Hill v Bailey Rugby in terms of rivalry, competition and entertainment.

It is definitely not one to be missed and considering it’s the last Wednesday of term and for many the last Wednesday they will spend in Durham, it would be crazy not to be at this event!’

Who will take the inaugural crown?

Check out the Facebook page for the event here.

Get yourselves down to Maiden Castle tomorrow for a 3pm start.
It’s going to be big.