Durham gives call centre girl chance to be a doc!

A former call centre worker and single mother from Peterlee has gained a place on Durham University’s one-year Medicine with Foundation course.

After completing a one-year Acess to Higher Education course at East Durham College with distinction grades in 2011, Natasha King, 27, is now one of six foundation students to win an offer at this prestigious Russell Group university.

NATASHA King is swapping her headsets for scrubs after getting an offer to study medicine at Durham university. Photo: Sunderland Echo

She said, ‘I can’t believe I am now a fully fledged medical student at Durham University,’ crediting the staff at her former college for her success.

“Without [them], I would not be in the position I am today.
I can’t thank them enough for encouraging me to aim higher, the continuous support they gave throughout the course and their willingness to help whatever the problem.”

Natasha, who aspires to become a GP, said, ‘My son Isaac who’s about to turn four, is one of the main reasons I’m doing this, so we can have a fantastic future together’.

Now following in her mother’s footsteps into the healthcare profession, she said, ‘I knew I wanted more than to be stuck in a call centre the rest of my life’.

Alan Taylor, who taught Natasha on the Access course, said ‘I’m thrilled to have been able to help her at the start of this amazing journey’.

‘She has proved that with ambition and hard work, anything is possible’.

Teaching fellow and admissions manager at Durham’s Foundation centre, Steve Leech said, “Natasha is a shining example of how adult learners and other non-traditional students can excel at university if they are given the opportunity and the right preparation.”