Library to open 24/7

The university’s libraries will be keeping their doors open 24 hours a day for the last week of Epiphany term and for five weeks in the Easter exam period.

| UPDATED 24/7 all-nighter exams library students study

In preparation for an onslaught of student all-nighters, the university’s libraries will be keeping their doors open 24 hours a day for the last week of Epiphany term and for five weeks in the Easter exam period.

This will be the first term the libraries open all night in the Epiphany term and the announcement comes after popular student demand last year that the libraries stay open 24/7 for essay and dissertation deadlines.

Durham libraries will be going 24/7 this term from midnight March 12 to March 18 in the last week of the Epiphany term as a trial period. It will then keep its doors open for exams from April 21 to May 27.

The Library have also chosen to extend their 24/7 period during exam season by one week in reaction to student comments. On the library feedback forum, one student posted, “I’m very glad the library is going 24 hours again, however, it would be much more useful if it continued until the end of exams!” Students using the library during this period will also have the 500 extra study spaces of the new East Wing at their disposal.

Libraries resisted calls to open 24/7 during the holidays after reports found that student attendance was 50% less than during term. Last year, according to Queen’s Campus Library manager Jane Hodgson, the Library reduced the 24/7 period after comments about the welfare of students from the DSU and colleges.

Deputy librarian Pete Maggs has called for students to consider their well-being, “it is important that students leave the Library for proper breaks, food and rest”. The Library is also supporting the DSU’s ‘Stress Less’ campaign.

Maggs will be running a tight ship, with a no food and drink policy in operation throughout the period to keep the library safe, clean and quiet. According to Marketing Officer Rachel Smith no bedding will be allowed and strict library policy will be to ask any students found sleeping at their desks to leave.

Should library-goers be struck by any desires of the flesh in the early hours of the morning then, according to Maggs, there is an extremely high risk of getting caught and it would be regarded as a “very serious matter”.