Swansea University threatens students with exclusions over loud house parties

Students have received letters from the university after numerous noise complaints from local residents

Swansea University has threatened students in Brynmill with sanctions over noisy house parties after receiving a number of complaints from local residents.

A letter was sent to students on Bryn Road, who have been warned that these sanctions could be imposed if they ignore warnings and continue hosting parties.

The potential sanctions student could face include formal written warnings, suspension, or even exclusion from the university.

Students were reminded that by attending Swansea University they are bound by the Student Charter, and must “respect the personal safety of students, staff and the wider community”.

The letter from the university referred to Swansea’s large student population, and according to Wales Online, warned of “rising tensions within the community, which is increasingly becoming anti-student” as a result of poor behaviour from a minority of students. It also urged student residents to be considerate of their neighbours to avoid any further noise complaints.

While the initial letter was advisory, it warned that a “stage 1 notification” would be issued following further noise complaints and that this notification would be followed up by a visit from the local police and a member of university staff.

The letter explains that suspension or exclusion would be the “last thing” the university would want to do, but implies it is a possibility if students’ behaviour continues to create complaints from the wider community.