Mo Farah to run World Half Marathon Championships in Cardiff

The five-time world champion will be running the streets of Cathays

The race will take place on March 26th 2016.

It has been confirmed today that double Olympic champion Mo Farah will run in the Cardiff University World Half Marathon Championship taking place on March 26th in Cardiff. This will be the first time the World Half Marathon Championships has ever taken place in Wales. The race is set to run through both Cathays and Roath, as well as through the city centre and down to the bay.

Chief Executive of Cardiff 2016 delivery organisation Run 4 Wales, Matt Newman said: “It’s a major coup for Cardiff 2016, Mo’s appearance has always been a key ambition for us and this news will give a huge boost in the final nine weeks of preparation. The Welsh public will get a rare chance to witness one of athletics’ global stars competing around their capital city.”

The 32 year-old gold medalist will be using the race as part of his preparation for the Olympic Games taking place in Rio this summer. This will be the first time Farah, five-time world champion, will have competed in the Championships. The British and European record holder over 13.1 miles, said: “I am pleased to announce that I am available for selection for the British team in Cardiff at the IAAF / Cardiff University World Half Marathon Championships. I’ve never run at the World Half-Marathon Championships before, and I know the standard is incredibly high with athletes who really target and train specifically for the event, so I know it will be a hard race. Organisation Run 4 Wales are urging everyone to sign-up for the race before the February 29th deadline, stating this is a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity”.