Why niche societies are better than serious societies

Wouldn’t you rather listen to Taylor Swift than go to choir practice?

Wednesday. 7 pm. Every week.

Society commitment issues

Joining a society can be a big commitment. You really have to put in the time, effort, and sometimes money to get the most out of it.

To really get your bang for your buck, society events, socials, or training sessions have to be built into your timetable and stay there. Nestled between weekly lectures and supervisions, society events can often feel like another thing you just have to show up to after a long day of work.

Where are you supposed to find time for societies? (Image credit: Leah Whiting)

Societies shouldn’t send you to sleep

If you’re going to join a society, why join one of the boring ones?

Cambridge stereotypes far too often play a big role in what we decide to dedicate our time to.

Rowing, choir, academic societies – we often try and utilise these groups to build connections and fulfil that ‘Cambridge’ façade all our family members are so excited for us to construct.

After all, who doesn’t like getting up at 6:30 on the dot every Friday morning to go rowing?

But wouldn’t you rather just be able to pop into the college Bread Society film night or enjoy the occasional Taylor Swift night with CUTSAS?

Just try not to knock Taylor down at the club night (Image credit: Niamh Bewick)

Pick and choose your socials

Not only do these societies give you a fun way to just hang out with friends, but you often find it easier to fit more niche, relaxed societies such as this into a busy schedule.

Just want to join the occasional social or night out? Or are you wanting in-depth discussions about whether focaccia or ciabatta is better on the regular? You decide.

Societies should ultimately be a community and support network you can rely on during your time at university, but not a community you are stretching yourself to the limit to join just because your parents – or stereotypes you have previously heard – dictate that you should join.

Sleep > early morning training

Whilst it may seem like I’m advocating laziness and a chronic lack of commitment, I am merely encouraging you to think of societies as a fun pastime rather than the bane of your existence.

Ultimately, you should decide how much time you have to spare and what you’d like to spend it doing – rowing a boat along the river before the sun is even up or eating copious amounts of bread.

At the end of the day, just because you go to Cambridge doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time!

Bouncing Back: Meet some of Cambridge’s most unique societies

Meet Cambridge University’s Taylor Swift Appreciation Society

The Tab sits down with Cambridge’s Taylor Swift Society on the Midnights album

Feature image credit: Niamh Bewick