Cambridge counselling waiting times are currently 4-5 weeks, not two like Toope said

You can currently expect to wait over half a term to access counselling from the UCS

CW:// This article includes discussions of mental health and University Counselling Services

It has been confirmed that waiting times for the University Counselling service (UCS) are currently four to five weeks, following an email from Prof. Toope yesterday (18/03) which claimed they were just two weeks.

Prof. Toope yesterday dismissed “rumours about delays in access to the University’s Counselling services” claiming they were “currently two weeks for students”.

No description available.

Screenshot from the email received by students yesterday

However,  the UCS website itself said that current waiting times were four to five weeks, adding that this waiting time “will be longer if the availability you provide is limited”.

A further email was sent to students today (19/03) correcting the inaccuracy and clarifying that “waiting times are currently 4-5 weeks (not two weeks, as reported yesterday)”.

This confusion comes after Graham Virgo telling the Tab two weeks ago that he has been particularly focussing on the University Counselling Service, and that he has been receiving “regular reports” concerning “waiting times”.

The updated email further alleged that “current waiting times are similar to what they were at this time last year” and that the university is “making every effort to decrease waiting times”, with steps being taken including “additional recruitment to fill vacancies in the Student Counselling Service”.

Further clarification on the services provided by the UCS were detailed: “There are currently two additional full-time counselling posts, and the service is advertising for another additional full-time post.

“Students experiencing serious distress should not wait to contact the Counselling service. All counselling referrals are triaged, with the most urgent referrals prioritised.”

Cambridge students can find more information about, and access support from, the UCS here

The University Press Office and University Counselling Service were approached for comment. 

Camfesses about mental health issues have tripled in the last year and we need to talk about it

I’ve fought to protect my mental health at Cambridge, but it feels like no one is listening

Seeking mental health support in Cambridge may be difficult, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try