Image may contain: Smile, Portrait, Photography, Photo, Frown, Jaw, Face, Human, Person, Head

CUCA invites former UKIP MEP, accused of anti-Semitism, racism, sexism and sexual harassment to speak at Termly Dinner

He once described feminism as a ‘passing fashion’

The Cambridge University Conservative Association announced today that Godfrey Bloom will be speaking at the annual Chairman’s Dinner.

Bloom, a former MEP representing UKIP, is renowned for his controversial comments, which at times have been branded misogynistic, anti-Semitic and racist.

Whilst a member of the European Parliament’s Committee for Women’s Rights and Gender Equality, he commented in an interview that "no self-respecting small businessman with a brain in the right place would ever employ a lady of child-bearing age" and reportedly stated "I just don't think [women] clean behind the fridge enough", branding feminism “a passing fashion”. He also joked that his female audience were 'sluts' at the UKIP party conference in 2013.

In 2004, an incident involving Cambridge University’s Women’s Rugby Club arose. As a sponsor of the club, he invited them to Brussels, where he was accused of "sexual harassment" and "misogynistic remarks", to the extent that one student submitted a formal letter of complaint to the President of the European Parliament. Bloom denied the claims.

Bloom has also come under criticism for alleged anti-Semitism and racism. In 2010 he was ejected from the European Parliament for using a Nazi slogan when addressing a German MEP, and he was slammed for anti-Semitism following his tweet branding Goldman Sachs an "international Jewish bank". Whilst making a speech about British foreign aid in 2013, he referred to countries that receive such aid as "Bongo Bongo Land", causing UKIP to ban the use of the term.

As recently as last week, he tweeted about Greta Thunberg, describing the "overwhelming desire to give this ghastly child a good shaking".

The Chairman’s Dinner will be held at Robinson College on the 12th June, tickets are priced at £60 a head and the dinner will be followed by an after party at the Pitt Club.

In the past few years, guest speakers have included Andrew Mitchell in 2017 and James Delingpole in 2018. Last year, following Delingpole’s speech, many audience members were alleged to have walked out of the event in response to his jokes about AIDs and comparing himself to Jimmy Savile.

Image may contain: Church, Altar, Lighting, Chandelier, Lamp, Indoors, Architecture, Building

The Tab contacted CUCA for comment. A spokesperson responded that: “We take such accusations very very seriously indeed at CUCA, and for this reason believe it is important that these things are investigated thoroughly.

"Godfrey sponsored the Cambridge WRFC for 10 years, and remains close friends with many of the former captains, recently visiting one in America as her guest. An accusation of misogyny was made against him by a non-member of the WRFC (who happened to be a member of the Socialist Worker's Party), and this accusation was subsequently reported inaccurately by the Daily Mail. Because of this, Godfrey sued and won an unreserved apology from the Daily Mail, and ultimately, the student involved was reprimanded.

"As well as being an appointed member of the European Parliament's Committee on Women's Rights and Gender Equality, he was for five years on the EU General Committee trying to liberalise employment legislation for young women.

"It goes without saying of course that CUCA wholeheartedly condemns sexism and racism and has a zero tolerance policy on both of these issues.

"The fact that Mr Bloom is continually invited back to speak at the Union (and the university more broadly) is further proof that he poses no risk to student welfare, and has something contribute to political discourse which is of interest to the student body that is neither racist nor sexist.”

Featured image: Euro Realist Newsletter [CC BY-SA 2.0]