Image may contain: Architecture, Vegetation, Campus, College, City, Town, Urban, Building, Downtown, Plant, Grass, Suit, Clothing, Apparel, Coat, Overcoat, Person, Human, Accessories, Accessory, Tie

University say blue lights were installed by ‘mistake’

We were informed via a statement from Cambridge’s MP

Yesterday, The Tab broke that the university had installed anti-rough sleeping lights in one of its central locations. In a statement received from Cambridge's Labour MP Daniel Zeichner we have learnt that the university are apparently blaming the blue lights on a mistake.

This was the MP's statement about the situation: "Rough sleeping is a national shame, and it has almost tripled since the Conservatives came into Government in 2010. While the council and voluntary organisations do their best to support vulnerable people, the chronic underfunding of preventative services is a political choice by central Government.

"The university have said that the blue lights were installed by mistake; if they have concerns about staff or students experiencing anti-social behaviour then they are entitled to take appropriate measures, but we must all remember that this is a wider problem, and that anyone sleeping rough is extremely vulnerable.

"I urge the University and colleges to continue engaging with the council and other organisations to help prevent the need for anyone to sleep rough in Cambridge."

EDIT: Since the publication of this article the university have got in touch with the Tab with this statement:

A University spokesperson said: “It is not a policy of this University to install blue lighting in any area of our estate – one set of blue light bulbs was installed in a building off Mill Lane in error and they have now been replaced with white light bulbs.”

We still remain sceptical that these lights were installed by mistake when there are so many of them in a place that would be a sheltered location for those who are rough sleeping to stay.

Some links should you want to help the homeless in Cambridge: x x x

Source of header: King's: Tom McGachie and MP portrait: x