Freshers: The highs and lows

From new friends to new experiences, the highs have been high, and the lows were pretty low…

Cambridge Freshers Week friends societies university

The highs

Matriculation

Image may contain: Clothing, Cloak, Worship, Church, Cathedral, Building, Architecture, Person, People, Human

Werk it queeeeen

Not only was there free food, free booze and the chance to get on it with your DOS, but there was also the opportunity to get a banging new Facebook profile picture. You know, just in case we wanted to rub it in the faces of our friends back home a little bit more.

Freshers' fair

When they say there’s something out there for everyone, they mean it. If delivering surprise cakes to students is your thing, they’ve got you. If comedy opera tickles your pickle, they’ve got you. If you like to vent your anger via the means of shooting pretend birds in the sky, they’ve got you. And failing that there was the free Domino's and donuts. Naughty.

Friendships

You literally make seven new best friends every day. It’s mental.

The trick is to try and figure out whether these peeps are just your 'lifeboats' of week one or whether they are here to stay….

Partying

So it turns out people here actually do go out and sesh. Hard. After the initial confusion of discovering that Vinyl, Life and Kuda are all the same place, the freshers clubbing scene was certainly something to remember. Sweating your tits off in Fez with a group of people you’ve known for three days? Awesome. Risking your life (or, rather, your bowels) in buying food from the "van of death"? Even better. Plus we now live within walking distance of the biggest Wetherspoons IN THE UK. Winner.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Yes mum I have friends !

The lows

Realising everyone at Cambridge is kinda smart

Who would have guessed it, huh? Yet we’ve all freaked out upon the realisation that we have gone from being the "clever" one to being a hideously average student.

Big fish small pond, to feeling like a very small fish, maybe even just plankton amongst the Pacific Ocean.

Realising that Cambridge is weird

Coming here literally involves learning another language. Parties are now "bops" or "ents", your student ID is now a "Camcard", the canteen is now a "buttery", a cleaner is now a "bedder" and science is now "natsci". Even the weeks here are different… Monday is now on Thursday? Yet we kinda still get a weekend? And Sainsbury’s is now basically the only supermarket in existence. Weird.

Adulting

Apparently now that we’re at uni we have to actually be proper adults. Scandalous. From doing our own laundry [Content Warning for people at Emmanuel, everyone else has to do it themselves!] to washing the pots and even to cooking (or burning) our own meals, uni has thrust us head first into the disgusting world of independent living.

Exhaustion

In Freshers' we actually had to socialise ALL THE TIME. We couldn’t even pull the "I’ve got work to do" card to avoid mingling with other human beings. Pair this emotionally draining experience with little sleep, a weeklong hangover and 9am meetings and you’re in for a nasty case of Freshers’ flu. Not fun.

The kitchens

Image may contain: Oven, Electrical Device, Appliance, Person, People, Human

What's cookin, good lookin?

Forget the 900 year old manuscripts, the rarest artefact in Cambridge is in fact the oven. So if you’ve come here with your cookbook in hand, ready to become the next Nigella Lawson, it’s time to let those dreams die. Unless you happen to be skilled in the fine art of microwave cooking. And a handy tip for y'all, pasta can be boiled in the kettle if you just try hard enough.

The introductions

"What’s your name?" "What do you study?" "Where are you from?" We’ve asked and been asked these questions a ridiculous number of times during Freshers', only to forget what people have told us less than two minutes later. Painful.

If you want to keep things simple, assume they're an HSPS'er from London. The odds are rather high.

Journeying

We actually have to LEAVE campus???!!! As in actually TRAVEL somewhere??!! The naive belief that we would never have to journey for more than 10 minutes has been shattered, as our timetables reveal lectures and supervisions elsewhere. Some poor students have even been condemned to classes at Girton or Homerton. A modern-day tragedy if you will.

I do hear rumours of a magical bus that drops you right outside of Sidgwick, so stay tuned until next time for me to give it a whirl!

Although we may all now be riddled with flu, Freshers' was an experience that (for one reason or another) we will not be forgetting soon.