How to have great sex at Cambridge

Doing the dirty to (at least) a 2:1 standard

Cambridge cambridge students Cambridge University consent Feminism Lube Sex sex ed std testing STDs Students Tab the tab university

With arguably the most stressful 8 weeks at Cam finally upon us, non-academic activities can take a backseat. However, the stress-relieving power of a good shag should NEVER be dismissed.

Here is a comprehensive guide on how to have the great sex you deserve this term.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Obviously this goes without saying, but consent is absolutely essential. Always make sure that everyone is very much into what’s happening at any point in time, and always ask if you’re not sure.

Look after your body!

It’s always better to use some sort of protection and/or contraceptive method while having sex with anyone, especially if you’re having sex with them for the first time. There are many different types for everyone of every gender, including but not limited to just condoms. Check out the NHS website for good guidelines and tips on which are best for you!

In terms of STI’s: chlamydia and gonorrhoea tend to be the most common among young people but the good news is that you don’t even have to make the long trip to Mill Road to get checked for these infections. Most GPs offer chlamydia and gonorrhoea screenings which take seconds to do and normally come back within 5-7 days. However, it’s also very important to get a full screening regularly which can be done at the Lime Tree Clinic – the staff are lovely and the café is very hip.

A rogue cappuccino – the perfect end to a vaginal examination

Let’s talk about sex baby

The truth is that not everyone you sleep with is going to get how to make you come after just one hour of you getting off with each other at Life. There’s no point in having sex if it’s not good, so talk about it! There are so many ways to tell someone what you want and you should also never be afraid to ask what they’re into. Having said that, it’s also important to really relax and not think of sex as having an end goal as this can be really constraining. Everyone has their own ideas of what constitutes a sexual experience and you should embrace this by talking about what works for everyone.

Lovely Lovely Lube

Whoever you sleep with, lube should be your best friend. It guards against irritation, helps to avoid dryness and really enhances the sensation of sex, as well as being relatively cheap and easy to find. Just make sure that you choose one that is water-based as oil-based lube destroys condoms and can also cause infections.

Keeping it smooth

You do you

Ever heard of procasturbation? In such stressful times as these, self care is essential, and having some me time with yourself can both improve general productivity and help you sleep better. It is also a great way to get to know how your body works and what makes you feel good, which makes sex much more fulfilling.

Experience is key

Of everything you will learn at Cambridge it’s safe to say that only a very small fraction of it will be academic. Don’t just limit this knowledge to how many VK’s you can afford on a tenner-a-night budget!  This might be the only time where you have enough naïve confidence to explore your sexuality before you settle down with your 2:1 and a sex life comprising of missionary with the lights off. Don’t be afraid to try new things with new people, whether it be trying to have a quick one at the back of the UL, buying a sex toy or feeling confident enough to go to an LGBT+ social for the first time. There is so much out there!

Food vs. sex – a tough decision at LGBT+ formals

Don’t mix business with pleasure 

It’s fair to say that the whole idea of teacher-student sexual tension never grows old. However, no matter how fit your PHD supervisor is, sleeping with lecturers and staff is never as sexy IRL. Keep that fantasy to role play if you want the full effect of some good power dynamics without the risk of a year of painfully awkward supervisions.

Be yourself

Cambridge is stressful enough without the added pressure of  confusing relationships! Make sure you know what you want – it’s as fine to be with someone as it is to not be, and casual sex, as long as it’s safe, is nothing to be ashamed of. Don’t let anyone make you feel as if your sex life is something to be ridiculed or scrutinized – you do you!

Love and pride

Whatever you’re into or whoever you like doing it with, or even if you don’t want to do it at all, is something to really celebrate about yourself.