Tit Hall student burnt in fryer fire

It seems their chips were a bit overcooked.

burn Cambridge Fire cambridge student Cambridge Student fire Chips Deep fat fryer fire Fire Cambridge Student student accommodation student accommodation fire Tit Hall Tit Hall Fire trinity hall Trinity Hall Fire

A 2nd year Tit Hall student was injured after oil caught alight.

The fire left the student almost unscathed with only tiny burns to the hand, although neither an ambulance nor the fire brigade were called.

The fire started on the top floor of a gyp in Wychfield Site (primarily 2nd year accommodation). After the lid on a pot of oil was lifted, there was a pop which set the pan alight.

Don't deep fry chips at uni, kids.

Don’t fry at uni, kids.

Tit Hall’s health and safety policy bans portable hobs, slow cookers and electric blankets, amongst other obvious fire hazards.

A 3rd Year Tit Hall student said “I lived in the same accommodation block last year, and fire alarms were huge disturbances and when they rang it was usually because of someone’s problems when cooking.”

“I feel really sorry for them and it’s a horrible thing to happen to anyone, but I’m very surprised they continued cooking after the first alarm.”

The Tab understands that the student didn’t keep cooking, however the alarms repeatedly sounded due to residual smoke.

15184016_1300075183375956_346569191_o

The fire blew out the roof

The fire caused damage to the building, blowing out windows and reportedly warping the roof.

The student has insurance for the damage and is not in any trouble from college. 

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated with more recent information.