CLASS LISTS: Campaigns, comments, and NUS delegates

For those of you who are riveted by the prospect of yet another referendum, here are all the juicy details/ rules for the upcoming battle over the class lists.

| UPDATED Cambridge University Cantab class lists CUSU delegates elections NUS referendum University of Cambridge

As most avid Tab readers will known, CUSU is holding a referendum to decide once and for all whether or not they should “campaign to keep the Class Lists, with an easier opt-out process.” Campaigning has now opened – let the fun begin. 

For those of you who don’t know, students are essentially being asked to decide what CUSU’s position towards the public display of student’s results will be.

The referendum will run from the 1st to the 3rd, and is set to contest CUSU’s current stance – decided in November 2015 – which was in favour of the total abolition of class lists.

Some say watching that grass grow will be almost as interesting as the referendum itself.

The NO campaign have announced that they will be maintaining CUSU’s current stance of outright abolition, stating:

‘In campaigning for abolishing class lists, we really have thought about everyone. Whilst we believe that publication of individual results is at best bizarre and unnecessary, and at worst actively harmful, we still believe that results should be celebrated.”

“We want to make it clear that we are not trying to create a culture where grades cannot be talked about, what we are trying to do is introduce context to this discussion. A chat between friends or anonymised statistics remain helpful but class lists on the front of Senate House is something that needs reforming.”

“We don’t agree with an opt-out option for many reasons, but mainly because, as Cambridge has gross problems with gender and ethnicity attainment gaps, to name only two, it is inappropriate to so publicly celebrate individualised results.”

The YES campaign, by contrast, has stressed the importance of a “pro-choice” perspective, stating:

“Many students have testified to the benefits the Class Lists bring to their mental health and welfare. Their choice should be respected. At the same time no student should have their result published against their will. Retaining the Class Lists with an unconditional opt out protects the interest of both groups of students. This is not about being pro or anti Class Lists. It is about being pro-choice.”

Make it rain, make it rain.

The referendum will be conducted according to a number of rules defined by CUSU. This  means campaigns must refrain from flyposting, hate speech (or ‘Trumping’), or referencing opponents in published material. It also means that the Yes vote will pass if it receives a simple majority, and over 10 per cent of the total eligible vote, or 2,362 votes.

Meanwhile, buckle up for another few weeks of NUS related drama, as hustings for CUSU’s NUS delegates opens on the 31st (hopefully it won’t be the scariest thing happening that night). Voting is being held early this year, so delegates and CUSU can formulate a more detailed plan of action for dealing with the abrasive behemoth that is the NUS.

Is anyone else tired of these guys?

Voting for the positions will open on the November 1st, and close on Friday 4th. The results will be confirmed and published by 09:00 am. So, if you have a burning passion to exercise your democratic freedom, make sure you rock up to Hustings from 5:00-18:30pm, and ask those tricky questions.

If you love student politics as much as we do, watch this space. 

To access the arguments for both sides of the Class Lists referendum, click here