Current EU undergrads will continue to pay the UK fee rate

The Vice-Chancellor said “We will continue to work as normal.”

Brexit Cambridge University EU referendum eu students fees uk fee rate

Cambridge has responded to the UK’s shock decision to leave the EU and reassured current EU undergraduates that their fees will not change. 

In a statement, the Vice-Chancellor emphasised that “there is no immediate change to the University’s teaching, research and other activities.”

While he acknowledged that there is uncertainty about the impact on tuition fees, loans and bursaries, the University confirmed that “that undergraduate EU students who are already studying at Cambridge, who have an offer to study at Cambridge, or who apply in 2016 to start their studies in 2017, will continue to be charged the UK fee rate applicable at the time, provided this continues to be permitted by UK law.”

He noted that the UK fee rate may be subject to increases, which may be annual.

Cambridge is committed to keeping EU students and staff

The Vice Chancellor also mentioned the importance of students and staff from the EU, saying “Cambridge thrives as part of a wide international community of academic staff and students, and we remain deeply committed to global cooperation and our dedicated staff who come from all over the world”.

“The University will work with the Government to ensure it takes steps to ensure that staff and students from the EU can continue to work and study in this country.”