EXPLOSIVE: ‘Bomb’ discovered at Cambridge Rail Station

The area surrounding the station has been evacuated.

| UPDATED bomb Bomb Scare Cambridge cambridge rail station train station

Cambridge Rail Station has been evacuated after workmen dug up what is believed to be a bomb shell from World War II. 

A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: “We were called at 8.47am to reports that workers digging ground in front of the station found a shell and what is believed to be an unexploded bomb. The bomb squad was called and they have put up a cordon around the station. The station has been evacuated and the surrounding area as a precaution.”

The station and the surrounding area have been cordoned off by police

A spokeswoman for Abellio Greater Anglia said: “The station has been evacuated because of a wartime bomb found near the railway. As a result, services will be delayed during most of the morning.” She went on to say that disruptions would last until midday at least.

This may or may not be the bomb they found

This has caused massive disruption to thousands of commuters this morning, with many being forced to turn back. One commuter, Jennifer-Rose Mitchell, said: “There is a large amount of police around the station but there are not as many people standing about as you would think considering they evacuated the big office block next to the station. I am just going to head home now. They said it might be hours before it opens again so I am going to work from home.

Everyone get in the bunkers, we’ll keep you updated as the story develops.