The Varsity Ski Trip have fired a toy rodent into space

They filmed it too

| UPDATED Cambridge hot air balloon Marmot in Space Varsity varsity ski trip

Nothing says “Exciting Winter Fun” like the asphyxiation of a pretend rodent, and this year’s Varsity Ski Trip Committee do not disappoint, kindly offering us both.

Though summer may be imminent, the Varsity Ski Trip in December is the thing to be getting really keen about. It promises to be huge, with a return to ‘Val Thorens’ resort (the highest in Europe), high-altitude paint fights in the snow and club nights on the largest dancefloor in the Alps.

They decided the most fitting approach to launching their extravaganza would be the literal one, so made the obvious choice and fired the cuddly Marmot, Arnaud, into the stratosphere.

Anthony Rubinstein, an Engineer studying at Cambridge who came up with the idea, told The Tab he was “euphoric” to see “an often overlooked rodent conquering the skies”.

Titled “A Marmot in Space”, the video, filmed in May with little but a GoPro and a balloon, is well worth a watch.

Speaking to the press, Varsity Trip announced that they were “very excited” to be returning to Val Thorens.

“Val Thorens has often been called the home of Varsity Trip – the highest and most snowsure resort in Europe at 2300m, boasting access to over 600km of piste and the epic Three Valleys ski area.

“On top of that is arguably the Alps’ best nightlife on offer, and don’t forget the legendary Folie Douce for après. You can expect the usual mix of chart topping headliners, the age old rivalry of the Blues’ Races (that predate the winter Olympics) and new for this year – Europe’s highest powder paint fight.

“Val Thorens is without a doubt the top resort to host the largest student snowsports event in the world, we can’t wait to take you there.”

If you’re interested in finding out more, visit their website here.

Booking opens officially in October.