Pythons suffer narrow defeat in season opener

Unlucky, guys.

American Football cambridge pythons

The Cambridge University Pythons started off their season in a redesigned Cambridge Blue kit in a close loss to the OBU Panthers.

This was the Pythons first game of the season, and for many of their players, their first ever game. The Panthers had already played a game, a tough loss to Kent in overtime.

Both defences started well, with the Panthers getting an interception on the Pythons’ first drive after some long gains on passes from Joe Yarwood to Joe Moore, then Rob Brewster picking off the OBU quarterback while the Panthers were within ten yards of the Cambridge end zone.

The Pythons’ offence continued to stutter, with penalties and sacks costing a lot for Cambridge.

Thou shalt not pass! Photo by Chris Moore.

In the second quarter OBU’s offence kept getting close, but could not quite punch the ball into the end zone thanks to a sack by Harry Richer and Darren Harvey, and the attempted field goal was short.

Cambridge’s offence could not get a drive going, but OBU couldn’t make the best of good field position. The Pythons then turned the ball over again, a fumble on an outside run on only the second play of the ensuing drive, giving the ball straight back.

However, a raft of penalties stopped the Panthers from scoring. On the final drive of the half, Cambridge finally started moving the chains, but not quickly enough.

The final play, Yarwood hung onto the ball for slightly too long waiting for the big play, but was sacked and fumbled before he could get it away.

Squeezing the space… Photo by Chris Moore

The third quarter started with two short Cambridge drives and two series with OBU backed up against their own end zone because of coffin corner punts by Jack Tavener. Both OBU drives were three ineffective runs, then they lined up to punt, but on the second of these drives, it was a fake.

The punt fake run gained them 30 yards and lifted the OBU spirits. After a number of passes, OBU scored the first points of the game with a touchdown on a short pass. They converted the PAT, giving the 7-0 lead to the Panthers.

In the final quarter, Cambridge could not move the ball on offence, despite a strong defensive stand within the ten yard line, holding the Panthers to only a field goal. The game finished 10-0 to the Panthers.

The Pythons’ next game is in Canterbury against the Chargers on the 23rd.