Blue-ming Marvelous: Cambridge Get World’s First Glow-in-the-Dark Cycle Path

A glow-in-the-dark path has been built on Christ’s Pieces to improve cycling safety

| UPDATED bikes cambridge city council christ's pieces cycling pro-teq

Cyclists will glow with the flow as Cambridge trials the world’s first luminescent cycle path on Christ’s Pieces. Pro-Teq Surfacing, the company behind the concept, claim it will reduce energy costs and the council’s carbon footprint.

The path works by storing the sun’s energy in the day and releasing it at night. The amount of light released is inversely proportional to the reciprocal of the darkness. And it’s blue– but not exactly Cambridge blue.

With 20,000 people visiting the park every night, the bike ride of pride has never been so bright. The company also insists the new technology will reduce the risk of collisions thanks to its anti-slip properties.

Hamish Scott, owner of Pro-Teq, says the product is ‘cost-effective, fast to apply and fast to set.’

The idea has received mixed responses from Cambridge students. Second year engineer, James, described the concept as ‘pretty sick’.

First year geographer, Lucy, expressed concern for the ‘Welfare of insects attracted by its ominous glow’.

But it’s so blue-tiful

Cambridge City Council’s executive member for public places, Andrea Reiner, assured concerned citizens the council would ‘balance any safety benefit against the desire to preserve the historic nature of our open spaces.’

Got the blues? Head for Christ’s Pieces and let us know how you find the new cycle path.