What’s On: Week 4

The Tab Culture team is here to help you plan the week ahead.

ADC Arts Picturehouse great gatsby Hamlet heart of darkness Liam Williams museums at night shut up and dance taste of cherry wreck it ralph

THEATRE

1) HAMLET

ADC Theatre
7.45pm, Tue 21st – Sat 25th May
Tue & Wed & mats £8/6, Thu – Sat £10/8
Tickets available HERE
Review to follow

This is Hamlet, but not as you’ve seen before: be prepared to see Shakespeare’s story of murder, turmoil and revenge plunged into the USSR at the close of the Cold War. Oh, and Hamlet’s a woman. Will it work? Go find out for yourself.

2) HEART OF DARKNESS

Corpus Playroom
7pm, Tue 21st – Sat 25th May
£6/5
Tickets available HERE
Review to follow

Joseph Conrad’s canonical novel is adapted into a one-man show. Narrated by Marlow, a British sailor plunged into the world of Congolese ivory trading at the turn of the 20th century, we are forced to reckon with the brutalities of our colonial past. An innovative take on Conrad’s classic. 

3) LIAM WILLIAMS

ADC Theatre
11pm, Tue 21st May
£6/5
Tickets available HERE
Review to follow

Footlights alumnus and lyrical anti-lad snarls out his sulky debut in this Edinburgh festival preview. Could be a much-needed injection of comedy into the empty chasm of revision!

FILM

1) THE GREAT GATSBY

Arts Picturehouse, St. Andrew’s Street
From Thurs 16th May
£6.50 off-peak / £8.00 peak (May vary for 3D screenings.)
Tickets available HERE
Review to follow

Daisy Buchanan is whisked away into the dark and decadent world of young millionaire Jay Gatsby. Lavish parties await but so do obsession, madness and tragedy. F. Scott Fitzgerald’s roaring 20s classic is retold by Baz Luhrmann and an all-start cast including Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan.

2) WRECK-IT RALPH

Fisher Building, St. John’s College
7pm & 10pm, Sun 19th May
£3.50
More information HERE
Review HERE

In an attempt to gain acceptance from the other characters in his arcade, video-game villain Wreck-It Ralph devises a plan to take over a rival game. The disaster and hilarity that results is a classic Disney tale in all of its 8-bit glory.

3) TASTE OF CHERRY
Gatsby Room, Wolfson College
8:30pm, Tues 21st May
Free
More information HERE

Wolfson Arts Film Society screen this experimental Palme d’Or winning portrayal of a man planning to commit suicide. He journeys around an Iranian suburb searching for someone who will bury his body. The screening will be followed by a discussion in the college bar.

MUSIC

1) MOSCOW STATE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA

The Corn Exchange
7:30pm, Fri 17th May
Tickets and info available HERE

The Cambridge Classical Concert season ends with Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov, performed by one of Russia’s oldest concert orchestras and conducted by Pavel Kogan, voted into the top 10 conductors of the 20th Century.

2) JOHN GRANT

The Junction
7pm, Saturday 18th May
£16.50
Tickets HERE
Music HERE

Witty, self-deprecating and at times painfully honest, John Grant dissects ex-boyfriends and his diagnosis with HIV with the same rambling baritone and splashes of synth.

3) PHIN’S BARMY BRUNCH

CamFM, 97.2FM
11-12am Sun 19th May
Info HERE

The man that coaxed everyone’s favourite Game of Thrones man into singing live on air returns for a weekly chunk of light entertainment.

MISC.

1) MUSEUMS AT NIGHT

Cambridge Museums
Thurs 16th – Sat 18th May
Most events free, some ticketed (see page for details)
More info HERE

Cambridge’s best-loved museums open after-hours for music, art and other “performances” of an unclear nature. One particular highlight seems to be the Sedgwick’s talk on the relationship between geology and wine, if only because there’s a wine-tasting straight after it.

2) SHUT UP AND DANCE

Cambridge Union
10pm, Sat 18th May
Free entry

If you are lucky enough to be one of the few people around without exams to revise for, social interaction can sometimes seem a distant memory. Forget the kids in the library, and give SUAD a go – it’s unlikely to change your life, but with live music and 2 for £6 cocktails it can’t be too bad.