What’s On: Week 3

Need a revision break? The Tab is here to help, with news of the Big Things happening in Culture this week.

Alt-J carpet diem death and the maiden lord huron new music fridays Nine shaolin warrors Silver Linings Playbook star trek

MUSIC

1) NEW MUSIC FRIDAYS

CamFM
8pm, Fri 10th May
Info available HERE 

Having previously interviewed two of next week’s big headline acts, Alt-J and Lucy Rose, Emma and Zara bring a weekly dose of the next big thing.

2) LORD HURON

The Junction
8pm, Mon 13th May
Tickets available HERE
Band info available HERE

Perhaps guilty of missing the folky Americana wave that bands like Fleet Foxes rode to huge success, Lord Huron are still not to be missed if that Cowboy hymnal feel is your thing.  

3) ALT-J

The Corn Exchange
7.30pm, Tuesday 14th May
Band info available HERE

In exam term last year Cambridge based Alt-J were playing in CB1 cafe’s cozy basement to an audience of five. A year, a Mercury Music Prize and three Brit Award nominations later and their homecoming show has been sold out for months. It promises to be more than worth paying the Ebay premium.

THEATRE

1) DEATH AND THE MAIDEN

Corpus Playroom
7pm, Tue 14th – Sat 18th May
Tickets available HERE

A profoundly moving indictment of the torture carried out by fascist regimes across the globe, ‘Death and the Maiden’ is one of the most important, thrilling and deeply humane plays of our time.

Review to follow.

2) NINE

ADC Theatre
7.45pm, Tue 14th – Sat 18th May
Tickets available HERE

This award-winning musical is set against the exquisite backdrop of Rome’s chic sixties, and explores one man’s struggle to establish a sense of his own identity through his art.

Review to follow.

3) CARPET DIEM

ADC Theatre
11pm, Thurs 16th May
Tickets available HERE

Siân Docksey and Zoë Tomalin bring their genre-defying comedy show to the ADC for one night of unparalleled linoleum fun (whatever that means) as part of a series of five nights of different comedy shows. 

Review to follow.

FILM

1) STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS

Vue Cinema, Grafton Centre
From Thurs 9th May
£6.75 off-peak / £ 7.95 peak
Tickets available HERE

The crew of the Enterprise hope to live long and prosper, but the arrival of Benedict Cumberbatch’s mysterious Khan may thwart their plans. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the much-anticipated sequel to the immensely popular 2009 reboot of Gene Roddenberry’s universe.

2) RAN

Arts Picturehouse, St. Andrew’s Street
1pm, Tue 14th May
£6.50
Tickets available HERE

In his last film, Akira Kurosawa retold “King Lear” in feudal and samurai Japan, on a hugely epic canvas. Here, a warlord divides his land between his three sons, two jealous and corrupt, one true to his father. Japanese with subtitles.

3) SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

Graduate Union, Mill Lane
8pm, Tue 14th May
Free for all students [Not limited to GU members]
More Information HERE 

Everybody loves Jennifer Lawrence. Among the surprisingly successful films of 2012, David O. Russell’s film about mental health and illness is being re-screened as part of the Grad Union film night series. Doors open at 7:30.

MISC.

1) SHAOLIN WARRIORS

Cambridge Corn Exchange
7.30pm, Fri 10th May
From £19.50
Tickets available HERE

Described as a “breathtaking theatrical Kung Fu show”, this may be one of the more pricey events to be on this week, but it’s also one of the more unusual. Twenty-two professionally trained Kung Fu masters perform with over twenty kinds of dangerous weapons.

2) CORNEL WEST

Faculty of Law
5pm, Thurs 9th May
Free

One of America’s most celebrated and provocative public intellectuals, West is back after last week’s talk to discuss Literature and the Nation with novelist Ben Okri and English Fellow Malachi McIntosh.