Women’s Cuppers Final: Bezzaa’s Brace Beats Fighting Fitz

The women’s Cuppers final this year was a hard-fought contest between Christ’s and Fitz. SAM HOBBS reports.

christ's bezzaa Cuppers final Fitz football womens

Christ’s College are the Real Madrid of Women’s Football, such is their array of attacking talent. With good reason, they were favourites for Saturday’s final, despite Fitz having won the league this year. Nevertheless, Fitz were never going to be a pushover and their battling spirit made for a cracking contest.

Charlotte Bull asks questions of the Fitz defence

A brace from Sabrina Bezzaa along with a brilliant long-range effort from McGhee helped the girls in blue and white to victory, although Fitz were never out of an enthralling contest. Both sides brought along good support, with banners and flags adorning the touchline, and the game certainly lived up to the hype.

As the first half went on, Fitz managed to find their footing in the game

Christ’s started the stronger, with the superb Beth McGhee pulling the strings in midfield. They created the better chances; Charlotte Bull and Sabrina Bezzaa carved out scoring opportunities with intelligent movement and good footwork. It didn’t take long for Fitz to come back into it though, and lone striker Daisy Luff was causing the Christ’s defence their fair share of problems.

Christ’s celebrate after scoring the opener

Bezzaa it was though who opened the scoring. After a long-range effort was well saved by Clayton in the Fitz goal, she did superbly to turn her marker and fire home. Not to be deterred, Fitz pushed forward in search of an equaliser. Both Luff and Desmond went close.

Striker Daisy Luff provided Fitz’s main threat

It took a moment of genuine class early on in the second period for Christ’s to stretch their lead. McGhee picked the ball up some 20 yards out and lashed an unstoppable effort into the top corner. It could have been a killer blow, but still Fitz pushed on and got their reward later in the half. Livingstone’s superb run down the left sliced open the Christ’s defence and when her cross finally fell to Desmond at the far post she scrambled it in to give Fitz some hope. Bezzaa it was though who had the final word, hooking in a corner to seal the victory.

Christ’s mob Bezzaa after her second goal

Christ’s Captain Molly Avery was understandably delighted, but quick to praise Fitz ‘keeper Emily Clayton. “Fitz’s keeper was my player of the match, but it was a good game that we deserved to win.” Even Fitz’s captains were happy with the performance. “I can’t think of a better way to end the season,” remarked Grace Carroll, her co-captain Elektra Lapavitsas adding that “the girls did themselves proud today.” A fitting end, then, to what has been an exciting season for both teams.

Photos by Simon Schofield