Queens’ Off the Mark But Still Take Emma

Queens’ edge the battle at the bottom to get their first points of the season.

college football cuafl emma Queens' tom proctor zac Baynham-herd
Queens’ 4 – Emma 3
Queens’ narrowly beat Emma in a thrilling encounter between the bottom two sides in Division 1. Both sides were yet to pick up points, and will have seen this as an opportunity to stop the rot of a poor start to the season. It showed in the intensity of performance from both teams, especially in a hotly contested second half.

Queens’ started strongly, and threatened Emma’s goal frequently in the early stages. A goal had been coming, and Zac Baynham-Herd provided it with a neat finish from 18 yards after skirting across the edge of the box. Ahead for the first time this season, Queens’ continued to pile on the pressure, particularly from the right wing where the pace of James Eales was a constant threat.

Next, Tom Proctor made his job of writing the Tab report slightly awkward when he scored a superb individual goal. He was released from just inside the opposing half, and after a heavy first touch, reached the ball before the onrushing keeper, who he rounded before slotting into an empty net.

The remainder of the half was fairly uneventful as Emma struggled to maintain possession and Queens’ failed to put the game to bed with a third.

However, it was again Queens’ who were on top early in the second half, and they were wasteful to not add a quick third from an open goal. Strong appeals were made for a Queens’ penalty after a handball in the box, but Emma’s player/ref was having none of it.

Emma responded to Queens’ wastefulness with a punishing free kick to blast them back into the game. Jonny Parsons smashed a free kick from the left that proved too powerful for the keeper. It was their first real shot on target but it didn’t take them long to follow it up with midfielder Anton Dennis scrambling a second into the net from close range.

So at 2-2 and just 25 minutes left, it was all to play for in a grandstand finish. Queens’, determined to get the win they felt they deserved, went all out in attack. Somehow, they were again left without a penalty, despite their winger being bundled over from behind in the box.

They soon got the break they were chasing, but only by shear luck. A misdirected long throw from Ben Ryan was fumbled at the near post and trickled over the line, despite the absence of pressure from the Queens’ attackers.

Emma however, were unwilling to give up just yet. After a cleared set-piece, Riccardo Manfredi levelled the match again when he took time on the loose ball and hit an accurate long shot that dipped just under the bar.

It was late on that Queens’ dealt the final blow. Striker MEJ was in the right place at the right time to sweep home from close range, and give his team an important 3 points.