A Mixed Bag for the Hockey Blues

In a tough weekend, the Hockey blues had a bit of a mixed bag, beating Bishop’s Stortford, but taking a hit from Peterborough.

Blues 1 –  Bishop’s Stortford 0 – (27/10/12)

The Blues travelled to Bishop’s Stortford on Saturday, hopeful of ending a run of poor league results. However, the Baltic winds and lashing rain they found were not conducive to the fast paced and fluid brand of hockey to which Cambridge have become accustomed. Nonetheless, the visitors enjoyed the best of the first half and created several chances that, agonisingly, slipped wide of the Stortford goal.

With only five minutes of the first half remaining, the Blues eventually broke the deadlock. A smart piece of interplay amongst the forwards allowed Bristow to crash the ball towards the back post where a host of light blue shirts were waiting.  The Stortford skipper, in a desperate attempt to intercept the pass, dived across the face of his own goal only to send the ball into the bottom corner.

Cambridge domination continued in the second half but the visitors lacked the precision required to kill the game. Stortford remained in the hunt and with only three minutes to play were dubiously awarded a penalty stroke. Fortunately, keeper Morrison did enough to distract the Stortford forward and the ball flew narrowly wide of the post. The blues hung on for a 1-0 win. Another low scoring game is undeniably testament to both an unwaveringly tenacious defence and a frustrating tendency to lack precision in front of goal

Blues 1 – City of Peterborough 4 – (28/10/12)

On Sunday the Blues hosted national league side Peterborough in the third round of the English cup. Despite being strong underdogs, the home side matched Peterborough in the early exchanges and were unfortunate to go a goal down from a short corner after fifteen minutes.

The Blues soon rallied, however.  Cairns demonstrated superb composure to complete a fluid Cambridge counterattack and bring the scores level. After a period of intense Cambridge pressure, a rapid Peterborough counter attack resulted in a well-worked score and a slender half time lead.

In the second half, the game rose to an exhausting tempo. There were an array of chances at either end, forcing both ‘keepers to show their class in resisting several strikes on goal. As the home side hurled numbers forward in a desperate search for a late equaliser, Peterborough resolutely absorbed the pressure.

As the clock wound down, they twice caught Cambridge on the break to secure victory. 4-1 was undeniably a flattering score-line for the visitors. The Blues can nonetheless take great heart from such a composed and competitive display against an experienced outfit that compete in the national leagues on a weekly basis.