CUWRFC Thrash Nottingham

The Blues were cruelly denied a clean sheet by a pesky try, beating Nottingham Trent 45-5.

Antonia Robbins Becky Lane clean sweap CUWRFC Harriet Maxwell Michelle Wisson Molly Byrne Nottingham Trent Rugby Samantha Graham Sammy Graham Vicky McEvoy womens

WOMEN’S RUGBY: Cambridge 45 – Nottingham Trent 5

After a recent tough set of Sunday matches the Cambridge rugby girls showed what they’re made of in an exciting match with a well-deserved high score. The match got off to a good start with a series of solid scrums from the Cambridge pack, despite the relative inexperience of some of the players. The first try was scored and converted within the seven minutes of kick-off by captain Sammy Graham.

Nottingham’s number eight made several threatening runs but was stopped by a capable Blues’ back line. After this the home team almost had another try after a strong run from the Cambridge captain who unfortunately got held up on the line, after some superb tackling back by a Nottingham player. The Blues didn’t need to worry for long though, because Michelle Wisson soon blasted up from the wing to score.

The next twenty minutes were filled with big hits as Nottingham kept trying to break through the Cambridge line but they had only one serious chance, as once again their eight broke through. She was prevented from scoring by some ferocious defence on the try line and mention must go to Harriet Maxwell and Antonia Robbins for their hard tackles.

Cambridge renewed their attack with some big scrums and the Cambridge centre pair stormed through the Nottingham defence. A try was due and after a few menacing runs, Sammy Graham scored and converted a try, despite a last-ditch attempt at a tackle on the line by Nottingham.

The half time score was 19-0, but Cambridge knew they had plenty more to give. A cheeky break by scrum half Molly Byrne led to a try scored by Becky Lane in the 44th minute. Unfortunately, a brief lapse of concentration let Nottingham sneak 5 points past an otherwise impenetrable defence. Cambridge got mighty mad about the denial of a clean sweep and started smashing ruthlessly into the Nottingham defence. A combination of fearsome tackle busts and solid handling resulted in 3 more tries by Becky Lane, Sammy Graham and Antonia Robbins.
Cambridge can congratulate themselves on both solid defensive work and an aggressive attack in this exciting match.
Forward of the match goes to Vicky McEvoy for her ruthless determination going into every contact.
Back of the match goes to Sammy Graham for her hat-trick and 5 surprising conversions.