Last Japan

CHRIS BANNON: “With… some more solid line ups in the store the last ents of this term are not to be missed.”

Cellars Chris Bannon Clare Henry Ogden Last Japan

12th November, 9pm at Clare Cellars. £5

[rating:3/5]

Clare Cellars has always been an ent for those with a taste for dance music, bored by the monotony of Cindies cheese.  Bolstering some of the best up and coming DJs each week it has built up a great reputation and I anticipated a night of great music.

When I arrived at 10pm, I was slightly alarmed to find very no one there, but an hour later, luckily, it was buzzing with people.  Perhaps some week 5 blues, or a Thursday Life hangover had delayed their arrival.

First up was student DJ Henry Ogden.  He gave a good, if unappreciated, set to a crowd more interested in the ‘refreshments’ than the entertainment.

When Last Japan hit the stage, the dance floor came to life.

The 20 year old DJ has had an impressive 12 months, attracting attention from major labels Atlantic, Sony and Universal for re-mixes and his single ‘Jungle Warrior’ has received airplay on Radio One’s Friday night show.  This song was the biggest track of the night, utilising sound effects mixed with a powerful melodic bass line.  Other highlights included tracks ‘Big Man’, ‘Oi!’ and a remix of Magnetic Man’s ‘I Need Air’, that the crowd relished.

After the set I managed to grab a quick word with Last Japan, (Marco Giuliani on his birth certificate).  He enjoyed playing at Clare and was glad that some of the more mainstream tracks he threw in towards the end were well received.  With a gig in Venice the following evening and an EP out on Monday the party wasn’t stopping for him then.

Last Japan did give the event a late goal, and has all the promise of becoming a great touring DJ. Although it wasn’t the best Clare ent, it was still a very enjoyable night.  With tickets prices only £4 from next week, and some more solid line ups in the store the last ents of this term are not to be missed.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACA6Tq-mX8

Clare Cellars 12/11/10

£5

9pm

3 and a half stars

Clare Cellars has always been an ent for those with a taste for dance music, bored by the monotony of Cindies cheese.Bolstering some of the best up and coming DJs each week it has built up a great reputation and I anticipated a night of great music.

When I arrived at 10pm however, I was slightly alarmed to find very few people there.On returning an hour later though I was pleased to find the event buzzing with people.Perhaps some week 5 blues, or a Thursday Life hangover had delayed their arrival.

First up was student DJ Henry Ogden.He gave a good, if unappreciated, set with people tending to spend more time enjoying the ‘refreshments’ rather that the entertainment. The atmosphere continued to deteriorate as the effects of the ‘refreshments’ were felt; a real shame as Ogden’s set was solid.When Last Japan hit the stage though, the dance floor became alive.

The 20 year old DJ has had an impressive 12 months, attracting attention from major labels Atlantic, Sony and Universal for re-mixes and his single ‘Jungle Warrior’ has received airplay on Radio One’s Friday night show.It was this song which proved to be the biggest track of the night, in the set utilising sound effects mixed with a powerful melodic bass line.Other highlights included tracks ‘Big Man’, ‘Oi!’ and a remix of Magnetic Man’s ‘I Need Air’, which went down a storm with the crowd.

After the set I managed to grab a quick word with Last Japan, (Marco Giuliani on his birth certificate).He enjoyed playing at Clare and was glad that some of the more mainstream tracks he through into towards the end were well received.With a gig in Venice the following evening and an EP out on Monday the party wasn’t stopping for him after the set.

Last Japan did appear to give the event a late goal, and has all the promise of becoming a great touring DJ. Although it wasn’t the best Clare ent, it was still a very enjoyable night.With tickets prices being £4 from next week, and some more solid line ups in the store the last ents of this term are not to be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACA6Tq-mX8