Tom Davenport

“One of those waiting commented, ‘I suppose it is fair enough that we should queue for this fayre,’ which was greeted with a fairly muted response from her peers.”

Dominos fair fresher's fayre Freshers Fair Tom Davenport

A Fair Fresher’s Fayre
Tuesday morning saw the opening of the 2010 Fresher’s Fayre. Queues stretched for a fair distance from the Kelsey Kerridge location – but the new arrivals at the University were kept happy by free fare in the form of pizza, supplied by Messrs Domino & Co.

One of those waiting commented, ‘I suppose it is fair enough that we should queue for this fayre,’ which was greeted with a fairly muted response from her peers. Some of them even found themselves in a queue for the fare when all they really wanted was to go to the Fayre. This, they thought, was quite unfair.

It was noted by a bystander that a larger proportion than usual of the young ladies and gentlemen in the queue had fair hair – he had no actual statistics to go by but others nearby thought it was a fair comment. Everyone agreed that it was a jolly good thing that the weather was decent. In previous years a lack of fair weather has really put a dampener on the whole event.

Just by the entrance to the Fayre itself there was some excitement when an extraordinary looking young fresher sporting some conspicuous Fair Trade green socks and a fairy-dress refused to pay her taxi fare exclaiming ‘What?….er…no.’ In fairness, the price was outrageous. As one onlooker noted, the taxi driver hadn’t fared very well out of that little trip.