The Bass Race: May Week Gets Low-End Injection

May Week is shaping up to be the most bass-heavy in history, thanks to a number of earth-shuddering acts revealed exclusively by The Tab.

Catz drum and bass Fez Homerton jesus May Week st johns

After being tipped off by a committee insider, we can reveal that big money spenders St. John’s have secured the services of dubstep flavour of the moment Jakwob – after poaching him from smaller events.

Jakwob, real name James Jacob, was in discussion with a number of other colleges, including Homerton, before being enticed by a fat deal to play at John’s.

The remixer of Ellie Goulding’s Starry Eyed is believed to be signing an exclusive deal.

Jakwob was poached by John's in an eleventh hour deal.

But Homerton have responded in style, confirming they have booked drum-and-bass stalwart and Cambridge local Logistics.

“This year’s May Week looks like a real competition for DJ talent”, said Justin Woolf, Homerton Ents Officer.

“But we’re very happy securing the services of one of D n B’s finest”.

The event bills itself as running: “a better drum and bass line-up than Fabric” in our May Week guide.

Logistics plays it cool after being booked by Homerton.

St. Catz meanwhile, have been conducting discussions with top remixers Jack Beats, according to a leaked email. They have collaborated with La Roux and Passion Pit amongst others.

This was confirmed last night: “Jack Beats are indeed one of our confirmed acts for Catz May Ball”, said Geoge Woodhams, of the Catz committee.

He will be headlining the DJ stage, according to the email.

Catz recently released a limited batch of tickets to the sold-out event after an increase in capacity.

May Week line-ups are usually shrouded in secrecy, with some colleges even circulating false rumours to throw off competitors.

A favourite this year has been Jedward headlining John’s Great Hall.

Some committees, however, have been less successful at keeping their acts quiet.

Tim Checkley, Head of Jesus Ents, tried to throw The Tab off the scent when we heard Timewarp star Sub Focus would be performing.

“So far, we have contracted nobody for the Jesus May Ball”, he said.

“Any rumour is pure speculation.

“Apart from Elton John. That rumour is true.”

However, his denial was short-lived – when it turned out the artist had accidentally released the date on his MySpace.

Now that’s really Sub Focus!