Netball Round-Up: Downing On Top

The Tab rounds up the first two weeks’ worth of action in Division 1 Netball

cambridge netball college netball downing netball jesus netball Netball

Every week The Tab brings you the results from College Netball’s First Division.

With a new term of Netball already underway the teams in the top flight have everything to play for. At the end of the season, the Lent term winners are set to face Michaelmas’ table-toppers, Downing I, in a play-off to determine who will be the college Netball champions for the 2009-10 season.

It goes without saying that Downing will automatically be crowned champions should they win the league again this term.

Given Downing’s confident start to this term’s campaign, this outcome would hardly be surprising. They are the only team with their 100% record still intact, having comprehensively beaten Queens’ and Girton in the opening weeks. They sit atop the table and look set to continue their dominance over the division.

Downing’s main rivals for the title are likely to be Emma and the Medics, both of whom have got off to a solid start.

Despite having a squad jam-packed with uni-level players, Jesus appear – somewhat controversially – to be more concerned with winning Cuppers than the league title.

Jesus centre Charlie Penney told The Tab: “Who cares about the league? We’re going to batter Downing in Cuppers.”  Her team-mate, Katie Elliot declined to comment when questioned about Jesus’ intentions.

At the other end of the table newly-promoted Queens’ I are the only side without a win. They are rock bottom following defeats to Downing I and Churchill.

Week 3 Fixtures:

Jesus vs Downing I

Girton vs Churchill

Trinity I vs Queens’ I

Medics vs Emma I