Clare Crush King’s

Clare overcame King’s 3-0 in relegation six-pointer

Clare clare football college football King's king's football

Clare survived a nervy second half at Bentley Road to clinch a 3-0 victory over King’s in a relegation six-pointer. The win takes Clare above King’s who are marooned at the bottom and face likely relegation from Division 2.

Chances were at a premium on a difficult surface, and whilst the score line was harsh on King’s an inability to create any clear chances cost them dearly.

The game was played at a frenetic pace with wild challenges flying in from both sides. Clare soaked up an early aerial bombardment in the first 20 minutes but a devastating counter-attack was finished with aplomb by Vedantha Kumar, who impudently chipped the onrushing Kings keeper.

Despite this early boost, Clare withstood a King’s onslaught for the remainder of the game. After good work from King’s down the left flank, only an outstanding save from former Barnet FC academy star Matt Rose kept Clare in front.

Both sides squandered possession and fittingly, given their respective positions in the table, lacked confidence going forward. However chances fell to both sides in the second half.

Clare failed to kill the game off with James Richards going close, before King’s squandered an straightforward opportunity to equalise.

As King’s became increasingly desperate in their pursuit of an equaliser they threw men forward and were incensed when denied a dubious claim for a penalty with 15 minutes left.

As the game sputtered towards its conclusion Clare wrapped up the three points with two excellent breakaway goals.

Superb work from Tobi Ayorinde and Justin Armitage on the left allowed Armitage to drift into the area; his low effort was well saved but fell to substitute Jamie Pepper to slot into an empty net.

Clare found time for a third, with a beautiful through ball from Dominic Sedgwick coolly finished by Whitney.

The result leaves King’s, who had previously held high-flyers Churchill to a 2-2 draw, at the bottom of the Division 2 table and gives Clare a real opportunity to escape what had appeared to be inevitable relegation.

For more of The Tab’s coverage of college Football, click here.