Rugby Round Up: Girton Hit Gold

Girton end their losing streak as John’s scrape past Downing

college rugby girton jesus Rugby

Every week The Tab brings you all the results and the table from college rugby’s top-flight.

In the sixth week of league matches Girton won their first game of the season against strugglers Catz, while John’s were almost caused an upset by a spirited Downing and Trinity cancelled their match at home to Jesus citing injury problems.

Catz 7 – 51 Girton

With both teams languishing at the bottom of Division 1 having lost 5 games each, seperated only by points-difference, Catz against Girton was inevitably billed as the relegation ‘six pointer’. In the end though Girton continued their strong form from last week’s narrow loss to Jesus by thrashing their fellow newcomers to the top league.

After Andrew Russell opened Girton’s account by running through three Catz men to power over for the first try of the game, the stage was set for a dominant performance from the visitor’s backs. As the points racked up Man of the Match Sam Hunt grabbed two tries and Andrew Badcock, Girton’s stand in captain, scored the try of the game, covering the length of the field with the help of Andy Stone to score under the posts.

Girton’s silky backs play was not matched by their kicking game. The visitors missed most of their conversions in very windy conditions and were put under pressure by Catz’ superior kicking out of hand.

Girton’s captain Freddie Strachan knows his side will have to re-produce their ‘champagne rugby’ against league leaders St John’s next week if they are to have any chance of causing an upset.

Downing 10 – 12 John’s

League leaders John’s narrowly avoided their first defeat in the league 5 years as they edged a tense match against Downing.

Two first-half tries were enough for John’s to recover from the shock of going 10 down after 20 minutes.

Read the full report here

Trinity P – P Jesus

Trinity’s crucial game against Jesus was controversially called off by the home team. Trinity cited an injury crisis as the cause of the cancellation, much to the irritation of Jesus, who now have two games in hand after weather put paid to their encounter with Downing 2 weeks ago.

Read the report here

[standings league_id=5 mode=extend]

Next week sees the two sides level on points, Trinity and Downing,  going head to head. Jesus will hope to put a big score past Catz while praying that Girton can take something from John’s at home.